Honeyberry Nutritional Guide
You will be glad to hear that our commitment does not disappear once we have sold you plants. Our passion is to help you improve your orchard’s soil fertility to allow you to grow high yielding, nutrient dense Honeyberries with sweeter and deeper flavours, and longer shelf life. So we created our Honeyberry Nutritional Guide.
Honeyberry Nutritional Guide
We have created our LoveHoneyberry Nutrition Guide to enable growers to implement our nutritional strategies by including recommended products into your current programs. Every orchard is unique due to differing soils and climatic conditions. However, we believe that these guidelines can help regenerate your soil quality, minimise toxic chemical reliance and boost your profitability.
Start with Cover Crops to Build Healthy Soil
LoveHoneyberry Team Work
We have worked closely with Agriculture Solutions to build a ‘Cocktail Mix Cover Crop’ program (including the five important families – Legumes, Grasses, Brassicas, Cereals and Chenopods) to produce healthy soil cost effectively in your orchard pre and post planting. The average seed cost per acre is about $50 per acre.
Many growers believe that cover crops are just something you plant to cover the orchard over the summer or winter months. However, they are much more than that. Planting a cover crop creates a reserve of nutrients that becomes or will become available to feed your young or maturing Honeyberry plants. The cover crop’s roots continue to feed soil microbes that unlock and build soil nutrient reserves.
They can store the equivalent of hundreds of pounds of nitrogen and supply it to your plant’s early new spring growth. Also, when the cover crop cocktail dies back, their roots and green plant matter are digested by microbes and become organic matter packed with plant-available nutrients for your Honeyberry plants. It is similar to growing a ‘Living Compost Pile in the middle of the rows of your orchard.
Winning the Honeyberry race
We love Agriculture Solution’s analogy of comparing growing crops to running a marathon. Runners often have friends and family that stand along the sidelines of the contest with bottles of “Good Stuff” like electrolytes and mineral water and other such sustenance. When the marathoner runs by, their supporters pass them the “Good Stuff” that helps to keep them going to win the race. Think of your Honeyberry plants as being just like a marathon runner. Along with their race to maturity, they are regularly consuming nutrients, minerals and water and need a constant supply to keep progressing to become a healthy and very productive producer of Honeyberries. If their supply of “Good Stuff” is inconsistent or runs out at a critical point in the race, they will fall behind and probably fall below expected yields and quality.
Cover crops are a vital part of any biological nutrition program. You will want to build up nutrient levels in your cover crops because when they die back, they turn into a reserve of plant-available nutrition (the “Good Stuff”) for your revenue-producing crops. Planting cover crops pre and post planting is one of the least expensive and cost-efficient ways to build plant-available nutrition into your soils. It’s the most plant-available form of food and provides a constant flow of nutrients so that your crop of Honeyberries are less likely to run short at critical points in its race to the finish line of productive yields.
Your Honeyberry Cover Crop Program
1. It starts by planting an Agriculture Solution’s TrueCover seed cocktail mix that best suits your soil and nutrient management needs. Honeyberries love an early boost of Nitrogen so recommended mixes should include legumes or a fast-growing cereal if you want to prevent erosion and build organic matter.
You should remember that often your cover crop may need feeding. By using a recommended starter solution, you will be providing it with the necessary nutrients to grow deep, hardy roots, ready to take up or unlock the needed nutrients. These nutrients will help your Honeyberry plants produce sugars and other complex compound and serve as food for the soil’s microbes.
2. Apply foliar nutrients according to soil and plant mineral deficiencies highlighted by your soil analysis. Foliar feeding your cover crop with a high-quality micronutrient solution gives many advantages. These include the opportunity to balance your soil nutrient profile, build a growing environment for beneficial microbes, releasing extra minerals from soil reserves while increasing the organic matter in your soils. When your cover crop dies back in the fall and decomposes in the spring, the stored nutrients will become plant-available for your next season’s crop of Honeyberries.
3. We recommend spraying TrueBlend™ Soil Rejuvenator on the soil at a rate of 8 litres per acre just before your crop dies back or tilled into the ground. This product is an organic blend of humic acid, carbohydrates and bio-stimulants designed to aid in the breakdown of crop residues.
Cover crops are considered to be non-cash crops and are rarely harvested. It can be used for many purposes: as a green manure “plough down”, to recycle valuable nutrients, to interrupt pest and disease cycles, and to suppress weeds. By applying TrueBlend Soil Rejuvenator to a cover crop that has died back, you are speeding up the breakdown process, and providing a quick and timely plant-available source of nutrients at the pre- or post- Honeyberry planting stage.
Other products to consider adding would be Nutri-Life Platform, Tripple Ten and earth Boost. Further details are to be found in the product descriptions below under – Our Top 13 Honeyberry Nutritional Products.
Cover Crop Growing Between the Rows
Cover Crop Cocktail Mixes
Agriculture Solutions has partnered with Speare Seeds to formulate six custom cover crop cocktails. These blends are designed to maximise nutrient storage, reduce erosion, preserve and build organic matter, reduce compaction and improve your soil’s biology.
Agriculture Solution’s cover crop brand is called TrueCover. They contain seed types in varying combinations and include two or more of the following types of seed: Oats, Crimson clover, Barkant turnips, Ground Breaker (Daikon) radish, Rye, and Austrian winter peas. The TrueCover blends names that match their function:
- High-N-Mighty – for high Nitrogen (N) scavenging and storage. It contains a high percentage of oat and Austrian winter pea along with Ground Breaker™ radish. Oats are fast growing, have deep and fibrous roots, provide excellent forage and release high amounts of nitrogen upon decomposition. Austrian winter peas are low growing and can fix up to 200 lbs of nitrogen per acre. Lastly, the Ground Breaker™ radish grows deep into the soil to relieve compaction and expand your soil’s rhizosphere for enhanced nutrient availability for your spring crop. This blend typically winterkills.Planting Rate 25-30 lbs per acre.
- Weeduce – for high biomass for excellent weed suppression. The blend is made predominantly of oats, mixed with Ground Breaker™ radishes and Barkant turnips. Oats are fast growing, have a deep and fibrous root mass and provide excellent forage. They establish a vigorous canopy with high biomass to smother out weeds, release nitrogen upon decomposition and increase soil organic matter levels. Radishes are fast growing and provide excellent aeration and de-compaction for the soil. Like radishes, Barkant turnips reduce compaction but, they are also a favourite for cattle who enjoy the flavour and benefit from the excellent nutrient value. This blend typically winterkills. Recommended planting rate: 25 lbs per acre.
- Compaction Action – for reducing compaction and improving Nitrogen (N) and other nutrients. TrueCover Compaction Action™ is high in crimson clover with a healthy percentage of Ground Breaker™ radish. Crimson clover provides good cover to reduce weeds while the Ground Breaker radish’s long tap root breaks through compaction to increase water infiltration. This combination can scavenge and capture 140-160 pound per acre of Nitrogen and encourages beneficial insect and earthworm populations. This blend typically winterkills and recommended planting rate is 20 pounds per acre.
- N-Aerate – for Nitrogen (N) storage and improved soil tilth. The blend is a combination of predominantly Austrian winter peas with a sprinkle of Ground Breaker™ radish that builds and holds Nitrogen reserves, reduces compaction, and increases tilth. This blend typically winterkills and planting rate is 25 to 30 pounds per acre.
- Infiltrator – Infiltrator – for quick cover weed suppression and an expanded rhizosphere. TrueCover Infiltrator™ blend is made up of predominantly fall rye, mixed with crimson clover and Ground Breaker™ radish. Rye grows quickly and covers the ground to inhibits weed seed germination. Its deep roots loosen topsoil to create a positive effect on soil tilth and improve drainage. Both rye and clover reduce erosion. This blend typically winterkills and planting rate is 35 to 40 pounds per acre.
- Pasteurizer – for tasty forage that fills in quickly and overwinters to provide spring grazing. It combines oats, fall rye and Barkant turnips and is an excellent choice for aerial application into standing row crops. The oats and turnips grow fast in the fall while the rye provides for good pasture. This blend typically winterkills and planting rate is 35 to 40 pounds per acre.
Our Top 13 Honeyberry Nutritional Products
Recommended Certified Organic Products
LoveHoneyberry – We are about helping You!
Our commitment at LoveHoneyberry is to enable you, to quickly establish a profitable Honeyberry orchard, by eliminating many of the high start-up and ongoing errors associated with a new fruit.
We are very passionate about the opportunities that Honeyberries offers growers (in particular organic) and encourage you to see these initial Honeyberry plant ordering costs as only a fraction of the lifetime revenue potential from fresh or frozen berry sales or Honeyberry value added products. We can ship Honeyberry or Haskap in-vitro plantlets or potted plants to you in most regions in the world, where the plants can thrive.
Our commitment does not disappear once we have sold you plants. Our passion is to help you improve your orchard’s soil fertility to allow you to grow high yielding, nutrient dense Honeyberries with sweeter and deeper flavours, and longer shelf life. You can implement our nutrient strategies by including our core recommended products into your current programs.